When you think of a Russian countryside, you probably don’t imagine gothic-styled castles. But here they are – proud, stunning, and unjustly forgotten…
This beautiful architecture came to Russia thanks to the Russian architects of the 19th century who visited Europe and got inspired by medieval castles and French-style palaces.
And often, it wasn’t just a poor imitation, but a real thing.
See for yourself.
1. Eltzin’s retreat area – Barvikha, near Odintzovo, Russia (Former Castle Mayendorf)
2. Vasilievskoe Mansion, near Zvenigorod, Russia
3. Uspenskoe Mansion, near Zvenigorod
4. Muromtzevo Masion, between Murom and Vladimir, Russia
5. Vyborg Castle, Vyborg, Russia